Giardiniera- the recipe!


You can take the girl out of Chicago- but you can't take Chicago out of the girl. I was craving an Italian beef sandwich the other day (recipe to come soon)...and you can't have one of these beauties without giardiniera. Unfortunately, they don't giardiniera in France– so I made my own. And, when I'm not eating it on a sandwich, I've been eating it plain–straight from the jar. I'm serious. I don't know what that says about me. I like pickled veggies? I do. I do.

Sadly, I've yet to find fresh jalapeno peppers in France, but at least we have canned. Use what you've got!




Write recipe photo description here


Ingredients:
  • One red pepper, de-seeded and diced
  • One green pepper, de-seeded and diced
  • One onion, peeled and diced 
  • 1/2 cauliflower, picked apart into small florets
  • Four to five fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced in rounds or 3/4 cup canned 
  • Six stalks celery, chopped 
  • Four-six carrots, peeled and sliced in rounds
  • 1 1/2 cups de-pitted green olives, sliced in rounds
  • 1/4 cup rock/kosher salt
  • Peppercorns
  • Mustard seed
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Bay leaves
  • Garlic cloves, peeled and halved (one half a clove per mason jar)
  • 2 cups white vinegar

Instructions:
Chop/slice the veggies to your personal preference. I like my celery and jalapenos on the thinner side. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Cover with cold water. Add in the salt. Stir. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for a minimum of six hours or overnight if you like. Drain the veggies in a colander and rinse the salt off in cold water. Place a pinch or two of each of the spices (peppercorns, mustard seed, and red pepper flakes along with one bay leaf) into the bottom of each of your mason jars. (If you want less heat, add in more red pepper flakes, if you want more- season to taste!) Fill your mason jar with the veggies- right up to the top. Press down a bit. Bring 2 cups water and two cups vinegar to a boil. Top off each of your jars with the vinegar/water mixture. Place a 1/2 clove of garlic on top. Cover your jars and put them in the refrigerator. Let the mixture infuse for two days- then serve it with your favorite meals– Italian beef, hot dogs, a roast beef, etc., or eat it straight from the jar like I do! This giardiniera should keep for about two weeks (if it lasts that long- as mentioned, you might find yourself noshing on it.)

Note: Discard the bay leaf and garlic before serving.



Save This Recipe to Yummly!Yum

Bon Appétit, Baby!

Sharing is Caring! Use the Social Media Buttons Below, please and merci!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Je ne vous comprends pas